Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Flowing Toward Ease

As I was on my way to pick up my daughter from school yesterday, construction required that I change lanes.  As the arrow is blinking at me to get over, I activated my turning signal, indicating that I'd like to be let into the traffic in the next lane.  Although there was enough space for the car behind me to let me in, the driver didn't notice me and continued on.  In an instant I felt frustrated and dismissed.  I may have even spoken a few expletives in my head.  If I am ONLY paying attention to what I am doing, to what MY car is doing, I run the risk of being injured in a car accident.  If I drop all of my attention from myself and place it only on those around me, I still run the risk a crash.

How does this focus play a role in my life?  When I leave myself out of the equation of where my energy goes, I notice a personal downward spiral.  You may as well throw playfulness out the window.  Present and patient?  No way!  I am quick to snap, judge and be angry.  When I lose sight of personal awareness, I feel reckless, just as I would in a car.  However, the opposite extreme of ONLY focusing on myself does not feel good either.  It feels out of alignment.  Do know the feeling when you're car is out of alignment?  I know that feeling all too well.  Recently after hitting a drain, I knocked my car out of alignment.  It felt scary, reckless and out of control.  It made me cry out for help, insisting that I look to others for support, guidance and repair.  You see, I do not have to be an island.  I do not have to do it all on my own.  Somewhere in my life I adopted the idea that I had to be in charge, or else things wouldn't get done.  As I diffuse that story, I notice the ease that comes with delegating, releasing control and allowing the flow of trusting.  Just as the safest place to be in traffic is aware and flowing with what is happening, I allow that same flow in my day.  I trust myself in knowing what to do next, when to call for help and when to let go.  I let go, not because I have to, but instead because I do not wish for the craziness of thinking that I have to do it all.

What can you let go of today?  How can you shift your focus to bring you greater balance, ease, joy and flow?

No comments: