Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Is your GPS lying to you?



Recently, while on a run, I noticed that the GPS on my running application was not working.  How do I know it wasn't working?  My running app talks to me, giving me stats on my run, "Time: 5 minutes.  Distance 0.5 miles.  Average pace: 10 min/mile."  On this particular day, my app said, "Time: 60 minutes.  Distance 0.0 miles.  Average pace: 0.0 min/mile."  I heard that and got a little grumpy, as if i could argue or blame the voice that was telling me a lie.  The truth is, I KNEW I had run farther than 0.0 miles.  I had been running for 60 minutes.  Clearly, my running application was not giving me accurate information.   
This experience made me start wondering, where else do I tune into inaccurate information, but expect it to guide me?  Do I do this with friends?  Family?  My mother?  Oh, goodness, my mother!  How often do I turn to outside sources, asking for feedback, guidance, support, and some sort of validation for how far I've come?  The truth is, NO ONE knows how far I've traveled better than I do.  Here are a few tips on how to tune into your own wisdom and stop the madness of listening to trusted devices that may be giving you inaccurate information:
1. If the information you are receiving leaves you feeling negative emotion ask yourself, is there truth in what I am hearing, or is this an inaccurate reading coming from what I have been expecting to be a trusted device? 
2. Remove the temptation to take words personally, even if they feel rather pointed.  This allows you to be open and receptive, without becoming defensive.  When you're open and receptive, you can better hear the constructive criticism, without becoming emotionally charged by it and therefore dismissing the gifts that may reside in the support being shared. 
3. SAY, THANK YOU!  "Thank you for your feedback, I'll sit with it and use this information if I see it fitting." 
3. Flip it!  If the words leave you feeling heavy or negative emotion, ask yourself, "What is it that I am to take from this situation?  Is there a chance that what is being shared has truth to it?  What can I do to get closer to the image that I have for myself?" 
4. Let it slide.  As I ran that morning, my initial knee jerk reaction was to get upset and blame my gps for being wrong.  Once I realized that it wasn't an attack on me or my running ability, but instead a simple error, I was able to let it slide and move on, without another thought to the discomfort of anger and blame.  

Make a list of  "Trusted Devices" that you listen to.  Make a list of ways you're supporting yourself to listen to your own internal GPS.  Notice which trusted divides work best for you. 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great inspiration and encouragement. Why is it we are so tempted to listen to 'others devices' instead of our own gut. Your points are well taken.
Sally