Saturday, February 18, 2012

Heroes Aren't Born, They're Cornered!

I wish I could report to you that every time I made up my mind to create change in my life, I did it with ease, grace and great speed.  Although there have been times when I've experienced some element of ease, grace and unexpected speed here and there, it is in no way the norm for me.  In fact, I tend to learn that a move might be important for me after spending time banging my head on the solid wall standing in front of me.   I did not love the last job I left.  It was a job where I was being physically abused, a place where I quite literally had feces being thrown at me.  I had a behavior plan in place which involved asking a student to, "Hit me harder, hit me again."  Sound crazy?  It was.  I spend many evenings in tears, crying to my husband about how much I hated the job, how I wasn't serving myself or my students.  It took that level of physical and emotional discomfort for me to take the steps toward a new job, a new opportunity, a new reality.  That job was my brick wall.  I stayed with it, feeling as though I were stuck.  I bought into limiting beliefs about how I had to maintain the salary that I was making.  I believed that if I left I wouldn't find another job.  I told myself that I had to stay until it got better.  I have news for you, it wasn't getting better.  I spent nearly a year of being in this stuck space before I allowed myself to explore the idea that I could have something different.  Once I aligned with that possibility, I started to see creative ways out of the situation of feeling stuck.  I opened up to a greater reality than what I was experiencing.  With the awareness that I couldn't go on with this existence, I realized that the next step was up to me.   It was perhaps the hardest step of all; stepping into faith.  What transpired from there seemed surreal.   I left my job, jumped into living with greater purpose and have never had a moment of regret for leaving that place of employment.
Are you finding yourself feeling stuck?  Are you feeling as though you're facing a brick wall?  Know that you are not alone.  "Heroes aren't born, they're cornered!"  Thanks, Mickey Rooney, this quote resonates with me.
If you find yourself in an uncomfortable corner, know that it is your opportunity to look up to see the next level that is within your grasp.  Are you ready to reach for it?  Will you allow yourself to believe that you can have something different than what you are experiencing?  Are you ready to release the stress of this current situation?

No comments: